Yesterday was an exciting day for America. Regardless of your party affiliation, which local or national candidates you support (or abhor as it may be), or which ballot questions you felt passionate about, one thing is clear: as a collective, US citizens ARE making progress.
- We reelected America’s first African American president to serve a second term in the White House at a historically critical time for the nation
- In Hawaii, we elected the first woman senator AND the first Japan-born immigrant to be elected to the US Senate (Rep. Maize Hirono)
- We approved gay marriage in Maine and Maryland – a first in US history
- We elected our first gay female senator
- Last but certainly not least, in Massachusetts, we elected Elizabeth Warren, our first female senator in the history of the state and a woman heralded as "already being a hell-raiser" for a passionate race against incumbent Scott Brown
... The list goes on. There is no question history was made last night. However, we cannot rest on our laurels. This is not a time to sit back and feel proud of how far we have come but rather to look ahead with even more hope and belief in the future.
Yes, we elected a male president who cares about women’s issues and supports legislation that protects a woman’s right to an education, to a career, to make decisions for her own body, but that isn’t enough. Not nearly enough. We cannot look to a small group of females in government to make all the noise and activate all the change and carry all the burden of making this country better for women. Every one of us shares that responsibility – it is our duty to do what we can to keep pushing, keep expanding and keep rising.
We hope you will take action with us. Join Boston GLOW this fundraising season as we kick our fundraising and leadership contest season into full gear. We need endless support, participation and help with our primary initiatives:
We provide leadership workshops for young women in schools throughout Boston.
We promote our IGNITE Change Leadership Contest which will identify 10 aspiring young leaders who need support and resources
We host our annual IGNITE the NITE fundraiser, where we hope to raise $35,000 in scholarships and programming for the finalists of the IGNITE Change contest.
If you were as inspired by this historical election as we were, we hope you feel equally compelled to keep fighting for more and will work alongside us towards bigger and better.
We are not nearly finished yet.
- The GLOW team